Venison — A healthy alternative to red meat. Fewer calories, low cholesterol and less fat than red meat. Choose your size package from 1.0 -1.9 lbs.
Venison is a good source of protein, iron and B vitamins, which are essential for energy production in the body.
The flank steak is a venison cut from the belly muscles of the deer. Long and flat, the flank steak's best known application is London Broil a misnomer, as the dish did not originate in London. The popularity of London Broil has driven up the price of flank steak over the past few decades. It is a little tougher than the loin and rib steaks, therefore many flank recipes use marinades or moist cooking methods such as braising.
The French are quite partial to this cut, known as "Bavette". It is quickly seared in a hot pan and eaten rare to maintain its tenderness. Bavette is frequently served in Parisian bistros with shallots - "Bavette a l'échalotte". Strips of flank steak, known as arrachera, are very popular in Mexican Cuisine and may be used to fill tacos, or served in large pieces as a main course. Flank steak used in Mexican Cuisine may be tenderized by a marinade, or by mechanical tenderizing, using a machine similar to that used to produce cube steak.
Marinated Flank Steak Recipe
2.5-3 lbs Bur Oaks Venison flank steak
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Slightly score a flank steak diagonally on both sides with the tip of a knife.
- Mix the other 5 ingredients and let flank steak marinate in remaining ingredients in a zippered bag or large casserole dish for several hours.
- Grill for several minutes on each side, until desired doneness.
- Slice on the diagonal.
Venison Flank Steak Florentine Recipe
||1 hours & 30 Minutes |
||Makes 4 servings |
1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pound Bur Oaks Venison flank steak
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
1/4 cup hot water
1 (10-3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons dry vermouth
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Venison Flank steak - score with the tip of a sharp knife on both sides.
- Saute mushrooms, onion, carrot and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and blend well.
- Spread spinach mixture over flank steak.
- Starting at long side, roll steak in a jellyroll fashion. Tie with string or secure with toothpicks. Place steak, seam side down, in a 2-quart oblong baking dish.
- Dissolve bouillon granules in hot water. Add soup, capers, vermouth, curry powder, coriander and pepper. Pour over steak and cover dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender. Serve with a tossed salad.